Monday, June 20, 2016

Elder Matthew Lebaron
Elder Matthew LeBaron went into the MTC on June 8, 2016.  He will be there for 3 weeks before departing for the California Arcadia Mission.  Here is his first message:

Things here at the MTC are pretty intense, I didn't think I was going to make it through the first day. I remember walking by the front gate while on my way to some of my first classes, and I had the strongest urge to run, I'm no track star but I'm pretty sure I could have cleared that fence. Things have been go, go, go, all week, and I'm actually really enjoying myself.

I am in a trio with Elder Crandall, and Elder Collings, and I really enjoying their company. My district is crazy, there is not one sister to be found, which apparently is really really rare and it's been almost a year since that happened. We have become such good friends over this past week, and it feels like I've been here for a month. Our district is so close, sometimes we laugh so hard that we are on the floor. I seriously love my companionship and my district I thank the Lord everyday for two things, My district and an English speaking mission. 

 
The classes are so intense and require you to do a lot and focus so much, but the spirit is so strong. We have begun teaching our PI's or pretend investigators as I like to call it. it is so easy to teach one of them and to see progress, while the other not so much. Her investigator name is Pam, and every lesson that we have taught she gives us the "Pam Special" or gives us the good ol' "Pam Slam" as we like to call it. Everyone else in our district always tells us that she is so easy to teach and so agreeable, but she is giving the trio a run for their money. One of our lessons I asked her what she was looking for out of our lessons, she explained that she was looking to find Jesus in her life, so after 15 minutes of testifying, sharing experiences, and scriptures, she was unamused, and then told us that she didn't want Jesus in her life and that she felt better not praying, we talked about the importance of prayer and how God is just waiting for us to talk to him so that he can help us, that took us no where, and she proceeded to tell us the same thing. I looked at her and asked about her daughter and what she did when her daughter was having a bad day, she looked at me and told us that she would let her daughter cry... how the heck am I supposed to work with that? Jeeeeze.
Missionary work is one of the biggest roller coasters of my life, after this last lesson with Pam our companionship felt so discouraged. 

That same day we began teaching TRC's which pretty much is the next step up from PI's. We have two investigators one named Jessica and another named Dung-ho. Jessica had a pretty good knowledge of the church and she was very easy to get along with, I felt an instant connection. In that lesson the spirit was so strong as I testified of Joseph Smith, Jesus Christ, and his restored gospel, it was incredible. I can not believe how strong the spirit can be at times, and I am starting to feel it give me the answers that I need to make improvement with these new investigators, although I know another Pam Slam is around the corner I love this work and I'm so excited to learn more and be the man that God wants me to be. I can't remember a time when I was happier in my life, and it's the strangest thing, God is strengthening me and I know it. As a side note, I am killing it in four square, and often times I am king of the court. There is so much good food here, it's a dream come true, although the gas pains can get a little intense sometimes. Pictures are on the way, I promise! I forgot my camera chord today, kinda feeling like a chump, Thanks to everyone that wrote me, and I hope I answered most of your questions! if you write me a dear Elder make sure to attach your email, because I don't know most of your guy's emails.
Love you guys, and talk to you next week!
--Elder LeBaron
 

No comments:

Post a Comment