Sunday, June 26, 2016

MATTHEW - 2 weeks down, 1 to go

Matt is a pretty funny guy.  Here is his most recent letter...received on Tuesday June 21.

If someone asked me right now how long I have been in the MTC I would probably tell them 2 to 3 months. The funny thing about the MTC is that it takes away your perception of time. It's crazy to think that I only have 1 week left, at times the days seem like they are never going to end. I am so grateful for exercise time, four square has become my saving grace, most days I think I'm going to die, sitting in a desk and reading and studying for hours. It seems like I literally do the same thing everyday. I still love it here, I'm just so excited for the field.
Apparently this week the quorum of the 12 are coming and it's messing everything up! I mean I love those guys and all but the food has become scarce. They decided to build the biggest stage I've ever seen in my life in the cafeteria, so slowly they have taken the cafeteria apart each day, so one day they might take away the cream cheese, the next the ketchup, over the past two weeks they have reduced the food to one option, which is fine, but they use to have three. Now all we have is salt no condiments, one food option, and the worst of all, There is literally not enough seats for everyone, so they just cram us in a quarter of the cafeteria and people eat on the ground or standing up, you're lucky if you get a seat.
There is so much that has happened in the last week it's hard to keep track of, both of the TRC's that we were assigned last week we committed to baptism. I've been trying so hard to learn about the spirit and the bring it in our lessons, sometimes it's impossible when you're in a trio though. Trying to balance three people teaching is crazy, and honestly it's super frustrating, in most of our lessons the spirit is still very strong, and it surprises me the things that have come to my mind when trying to explain doctrines in the gospel. Lessons have become my favorite part of being in the MTC it seems at times that I could talk for hours with the people that we are meeting with. Class is exhausting, and being in there 6 hours a day is a killer, but it's so exciting when you get to apply all that you've learned into what you teach. During one of the lessons I was covering the restoration, I started talking about the ministry of Jesus, and started to explain that since Joseph Smith loved us so much that he sent his only begotten son, not realizing what I was saying, both of my companions were giving me the stare down. We were role playing with one of our teachers as a Progressing Investigator, and she lost it, everyone in the room laughed for 5 minutes straight, everybody is so tired here, if anything even slightly funny happens people literally fall to the ground laughing, kinda like that 3 in the morning type of delirium where everything is funny.
This is my last week in the MTC, I will be heading to California at 3:50 in the morning this next Tuesday. I can't believe that things have been flying by this fast, but at the same time, I feel like I could have very well been in here for 2 years, this might be the fastest week yet or the slowest. Because the 12 are coming they also moved our in field orientation to last week, so we had only been in the MTC for a week, and they were already prepping us for the field, and that sucked super bad, because all they do is pump you up for 8 hours about how amazing the field is going to be and how everything in the MTC will help you when you get out there, I was so pumped to get in the field, and then I realized that I had two weeks left, jeeze thanks Tommy. I'm pretty excited because I get to be a host tomorrow for all of the new missionaries that are coming in. Honestly I have no idea how I'm going to help them, I don't know how to get around here, all I know is how to get from the cafeteria back to our residence hall. I'll just tell them to for sure drink as much of the orange juice as possible ( some elders in our zone have made that mistake) and that to always put your thumb on the back of your ID card ( I also did that for a couple days and couldn't figure out how to open up the doors, what a chump) and maybe say a little prayer with them if they are foreign speaking, welcome to the longest prison sentence of your life. Sometimes I forget that I am free to leave at anytime, I guess it's just weird doing the same everyday, and staying in such a small area for so long, kinda like a prison if you ask me. We have calculated the amount of steps that we take each day up the stairs, its 936 steps a day, which equates to roughly 20,000 thousands steps the whole time in the MTC also accounting for other stairs that we take that we haven't counted yet. each step is about 3/4ths a step that's like mount Everest in elevation I swear, but honestly I'm loving it. Being a missionary is awesome, and feeling the spirit is awesome. There isn't a place in the world I would rather be than where the Lord needs me.
Quick story, so for the last 2 weeks we have been an all elders district, but two days ago, 2 sisters were assigned to our district because apparently they were attacked by bats in their residences the night before they were supposed to leave. Bats had flew into their room through the venting system, so about 2 in the morning 5 bats flew into their room, screaming they turned the lights on and ran to the red phone outside of their room. They explained that they had been attacked by bats, the residence hall president responded "Really? again?" So long story short they had to stay 2 extra weeks in the MTC to get rabies shots, so that sucks super bad. I don't feel so bad about going to the in field orientation early at all now, also, I learned that if you get attacked by bats in the middle of the night to not tell anyone, or they will extend your time in this wonderful place known as the MTC, I will take the chance of getting rabies. Send me lots of emails, and packages, that would be the sweetest, Thank you everyone that has sent me emails, and encouragement, you guys rock! I love all of you guys, California is going to be hog wild, can't wait.
-- Elder LeBaron


No comments:

Post a Comment