Friday, September 16, 2016

ELDER MATTHEW LEBARON...Stake Conference, Jason and Coffee...



This week has been pretty rad, not a lot has happened to write home
about but it sure went by fast. It's been a ton better week, and me
and Elder Low have been making a lot of progress. We have been working
really hard, and we actually taught 31 lessons this week which has
been crazy. Me and Elder Low have made it our goal to talk to
everyone, and I honestly have really hated contacting, and tracting...
Well I still hate tracting, but... We have been doing what we call OYM
(open your mouth) or TWE (talk with everyone) honestly were still
working on the name, but the point is to get as many as possible
throughout the day, our current goal is to get 10

Throughout the last 2 transfers I have had so much fear and self doubt
when it comes to contacting, and I always felt super awkward trying to
try and pull people away from what they were doing to try and talk to
us, especially if people were in groups. As I have started taking
responsibility to help meet our goal I have felt that fear leave, and
I've started to contact everyone regardless of what they are doing or
who they are with, I have also started to feel a real power, not my
own but from on high. I have felt the weight of my calling, and have
become more bold, knowing that I am responsible for the salvation of
the people within my area, I have come to a knowledge that literal
freedom or captivity hangs in the balance and It is my job to tip the
scale. Sometimes I laugh when thinking about the poor people me and
Elder Low have hunted down on the streets as they try and run away
from us. I've never had people quite run away from me before, but
people do in a very literal sense here. People will shut their doors,
go inside, they put their blinds down, and sit in darkness and in
silence until we leave, it's quite a phenomena. I've started to find a
reassuring sense of fulfillment as I have put my full effort into
contacting and sharing what I know about the gospel each day.

Jason has been progressing very well in the last week and a half that
we have been teaching him, and in fact he has a baptismal date set for
October 8th (happy birthday Alyssa) I have been blown away at the
faith that he has. We are teaching him the basics about God and Jesus
Christ, and even in the many doubts he has, he still pushes foreword
and is working towards being baptized on the 8th. Lessons can be
pretty interesting, mainly because he speaks in very broken English,
and sometimes we have to play charades  with him to get what he is
saying, but for the most part his lessons go really well, we have been
able to keep in contact almost daily, which has helped him so much in
reaching his goal.

This last Sunday we had stake conference, and it was one of the best
that I have attended, partial because it may have been the first time
where I have tried to pay attention the whole time. One of the 70 came
and instructed on a 30 minute recent convert meeting that me and
Elder. L were able to attend, there was probably about 50 people in
the room, and it was an incredible experience to be able to have that
close of an interaction with a general authority. He was the last
speaker, and I was reminded of just how true this church is. The
spirit was so strong in that room, and I felt an overwhelming sense of
peace and reassurance that this truly is Gods church on the earth
today, and that we have a God that you can ask questions and receive
real answers, it truly is incredible to me.

Me and E. Low went and got some coffee today and let me tell you, it's
pretty much the worst. Okay, okay.. It wasn't real coffee but it's
supposed to taste exactly the same. I think that it's called pero? But
it's just made with oats and barley and different grains, I have
learned that although I might not like coffee, I do in fact love
coffee creamer, definitely the best part of the whole deal. We wanted
to give it to Jason so that he could stop drinking coffee in time for
his baptism, but couldn't help and try it ourselves.

Other than that me and E. Low have been working on our golfing skills at the range.
I'm really starting to enjoy myself. I never really was one for golf, maybe because I never tried it, but there is something soothing about smacking a ball with a golf club as hard as you can. I've actually felt a lot of stress relieved though the whole process, maybe a few more sore muscles, but I have really began to enjoy golfing, and one of these days a member might take us to do a few holes. Just living the Cali dream, also don't be afraid to send me stuff, I love stuff, I would appreciate any and all the stuff you would want to send me, if that be a letter, a package, some candy, maybe even some snail mail letters, I enjoy it all. I'll just leave this here 614 West Foothill Boulevard 91006, California, Arcadia. Throughout my entire mission that address will stay the same, we aren't allowed to give our pad addresses out, only the main office. Thank you everyone for all the love and support it makes a world of difference!

Elder LeBaron

No comments:

Post a Comment