Saturday, July 9, 2016

MATTHEW - I am a lean mean green bean

I arrived in California at about 9 in the morning last Tuesday. What a day, probably one of the longest days of my life. We arrived in Ontario and was met by the President and his AP's they had a huge sign of a colorful peacock that read, "The California Arcadia Mission." I'm not sure why our mascot is a peacock but I didn't question it, I could rep that for the next 2 years. After getting our luggage, we drove across the freeway for about 45 minutes to get to the mission home. We sat for hours, talking with different people, and filling out paper work, we then had a seminar on safety and the importance of bike locks, everyone was so tired I don't think it really got through to them. At about 4 in the afternoon we then had a meeting where everyone was assigned to their trainers. I was assigned to be trained by Elder Low, he has been out for about 10 months.
There is so much to do and so much to learn. I am currently serving in Glendora and Azusa California, we live with a Latino family, and they mainly speak Spanish so it's hard to understand them most of the time.  Our room is probably one of the smallest rooms I have ever seen, and we manage to fit 2 people in there. I sleep on the top bunk, and I can only extend my arm about half way before I touch the ceiling. Also, it's a little terrifying because the fan is so close to me, every night I have to army crawl myself onto the top bunk to avoid the fan blades. I'm scared that I'm going to lift my knee up in the middle of the night, and get it chopped off or something. Our bathroom hasn't had the light replaced in a long time apparently, so we use the bathroom in complete darkness, so that's been an adventure. My companion knows a little Spanish so he helps me understand what the members we live with say to us. The husbands name is Fred the only thing I can understand is that he calls us Amigos every time we see him, his wife speaks a lot more English, but often times it sounds like spanish to me, because she has such a thick accent.
I have gotten so burned the last couple of days, and have slowly been recovering. we ride our bikes for about 8 hours a day and I honestly love it, I just forget to put on sunscreen every time. I am still very saddle sore from riding my bike, my trainer says that you get used to it, but I'm not convinced yet. California is an interesting place to ride bikes it, apparently it is illegal to ride bikes on the side walks so we ride our bikes around in the street. Most of the time we ride in the gutter so cars can pass us. I have learned to keep the bike steady because often times the cars will pass us by within inches. The peddle is also inches away from the side of the curb, so it's kind of a ride or die type of deal, on the bright side I will become a master bike rider, watch out Provo/Orem area I'm coming back to tear the streets up in 2 years.
I have been blessed with such a good companion, being a new missionary isn't easy, but it always helps when you have a good trainer. Elder Low is about 5'4 and comes to about my shoulder, so I guess that makes me Elder High? I can't wait to become familiar with the area, and more comfortable with my teaching abilities. I also can't wait to get my Ipad, unfortunately I don't get that until this Friday, but I'm super stocked because there are so many cool things you can do that make planning, contacting, and tracking so much easier.  I salute anyone who has served a foreign speaking mission, I can only imagine how hard that must be to adjust to something like that. State missions are a blessing, and that's a fact. Also, if anyone wants to send me snail mail, or a package just send it to 614 West Foothill boulevard, California Arcadia 91006. Thank you everyone for all the love and support!
Love,
--
Elder LeBaron

No comments:

Post a Comment