Sunday, July 17, 2016

MATTHEW...Fireworks, Crazy people, and Cali Sunshine


What a week! Let me just start by saying, fireworks in SouthernCalifornia are crazy. I have never, not once in my life seen a firework show like I did on the fourth, the whole city was on fire, and it was probably one of the most terrifying/exciting things to ride our bikes home through the streets as people blasted off some of the wildest fireworks I have ever seen. Some of the kids were throwing fireworks at us so that was a wild time. It's technically illegal to have any type of fire work in the city that we are in, but let me tell you, that stopped no one. If there is anything that I have learned about Latino people, it's that they like their fireworks. The whole sky was filled with fireworks, it's kinda like when they have the
finale at big firework shows but everywhere in the city, for 5 hours.

Here is Elder Low writing out "Merica"

I think that I forgot to mention this, but we have a dog, and it's awesome. Her name is 
cookie, and she's one of the craziest dogs. She has finally over the past two weeks of 
trying, allowed me to pick her up. This pad is the only place in the mission where they 
have a dog, and it's the best. She is so playful and loves to play fetch, a lot of the 
times she will sit with us while we are studying or getting ready for bed, dogs are 
sweet.
 

 
I'm not sure if she likes me, but I love her and force my love on her everyday, we have 
the best relationship ever. 

Southern California is one of the weirdest and coolest places ever, I have never met so 
many crazy people in my life. Me and Elder low street contact a lot, And we have talked 
to some of the weirdest weirdos I have ever met. I honest love it though they say some of 
the craziest things, some of them cuss us out, or they tell us all this crazy stuff about 
aliens and terrorism, it's a good time, it always makes me laugh super hard, like did 
that just happen?

We are teaching so many different types of people, currently we have a Korean, African, 
and Indian family that we are teaching. The two guys from Africa don't speak a lot of 
English and so we have to use a lot of French pamphlets that are in the gospel library. 
The Korean woman doesn't really speak great English either, it's been really challenging 
trying to learn how to teach simply and it can be frustrating when people don't get what 
you are trying to tell them, when you feel like you can't explain more simply. We have 
some people in the ward that speak French and so they translate for us when we need help. 
It surprises me how Humble some people are, and how willing they are to hear our message. 
It has been such a cool experience to teach the two guys from Africa, they are refugees, 
and they love God, they have some of the craziest back stories I have ever heard. It 
makes me wish sometimes that I was called to Africa, they are so humble it blows me away. 
The Indian family  has been interesting, we have had to talk to them about how we don't 
believe in worshiping multiple Gods. It's hard when people don't know anything about 
Christianity. They wanted to talk to us because they were interested to how we became 
such good young men, and wanted their children to be like us, it's super cool when the 
spirit just speaks to people, and I know that they are interested in the spirit, they 
just don't know it yet, they always talk about how they love it when we come into their 
home, because it brings "happiness" The Korean woman cuts our hair for free and 
she owns her own salon, so that's like one of the sweetest things ever. 


California is a wild place but things are going so good! Thanks for all the love and 
support!
Keep on keeping on,

Elder LeBaron 

No comments:

Post a Comment