Tuesday, March 13, 2018

SISTER SARAH JOHNSON - 3/5 - Hello friends and family :)

Man have I missed you all this week. It's been a long week. 

The best part of the week though, was we have a new little investigator! Her name is Dakota, and she's 9 :). We taught her a quick Restoration lesson, and she's way cute! She understood pretty well, and is really excited to get the Children's Book of Mormon we promised her at our next lesson (because let's be real, who doesn't like the picture book version better? Can't beat those illustrations). AND SHE CAME TO SACRAMENT MEETING and brought her less active mama with her. It was awesome :). I love her already. 
Also this week we played the most intense round of marshmallow dodgeball last Monday. I am definitely going to miss that game when I go home. All my friends better prepare themselves for a game at home when I get my life together maybe someday, haha. 
We got to have an interview with President Dymock this week as well. I love President and Sister Dymock so much. They just always have the right things to say to help me keep going when things are tough. I'm going to miss them when I go. While waiting for Sis Cardon in her interview with President, Sister Dymock told us waiting missionaries a story about two turkeys who learn to fly. (I think it's a story from a conference a while back). They learn to fly and see all these amazing sights, and their instructor really helps them and they love flying. When the day is over, they thank the instructor, feeling so excited about how fun their day was, and then they walk all the way home. We discussed some reasons that we, in our lives, sometimes "walk all the way home" after we've experience the joy of the Gospel. Sometimes it's because our instructor leaves, sometimes it's because flying is uncomfortable for us anyways, etc. And then she encouraged us to remember to fly all the way home instead, and to keep practicing the skills we learn here on a mission, even if it's uncomfortable for us sometimes. It was so good! 
Also at district meeting, we talked about how we can use technology more in missionary work. Elder Lofgren is a really good district leader, and he used videos to demonstrate how the Spirit can speak to us through technology. This particular video gave me the feels, please watch it:


Oh! I got to bear my testimony at sacrament meeting yesterday in the Bowdish ward. I talked about how when I first got here, I thought things would be fine, it was warm enough and the weather was nice. But then it started to snow and I was so unprepared and terrified of being cold. And then it snowed forever. And all everyone kept saying was that my "blood would thicken" and I'd be fine. I did not believe them, that sounded ridiculous! So I bundled up and glared at the clouds every day. But then one day came along in the middle of the winter that it hit 50 degrees. Back home, 50 degrees is freezing, and you wear gloves and a coat and drink hot chocolate and sit inside all day, right? That day though, I took my coat off and wore just my long sleeved shirt, and realized that my blood did really thicken. What once was unbearable and horrible to me, had suddenly become something I could handle. I realized that most of life is like that. Rarely do we ever feel ready, or adequate to handle the crazy challenges presented to us. We look ahead and think we'll never make it, even though everyone around us tells us things will work out and you'll be fine. But every time we turn to our Savior and ask for His help, and then do what we can and give all we have to overcome that challenge, He helps our spiritual "blood" to thicken. And then things just work out. :) He always takes whatever we have, and makes it enough. And I think that is so incredible. Kind of like when Jesus had the 5 loaves and the 2 fishes. He takes everything we have to give, and somehow, our blood really does thicken, and we not only survive, but we survive with grace and happiness to accompany us. 
MAN I JUST LOVE THIS GOSPEL SO MUCH

Also Sister Douglas went on exchanges with the hermanas, and it was a blast. The only pictures I have for myself this week are from our spa party. Did I tell you I love face masks? I love face masks. And so does Sis Douglas, so that's what we did. Haha best day ever.



I love you all so much! Here's to the week of "last time I do this" moments. #9daysleft
Good luck this week! :) 
Sister Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment