Sunday, April 23, 2017

ELDER MATTHEW LEBARON - 4/3 - Conference, bike crashes, and the ghetto



This week is going to be juicy one, well... at least a lot better than
my last couple of emails, I feel like I haven't had a lot to talk
about, but this week I have too much, haha.

First off, General conference was awesome! Maybe its just that I'm
missionary, but It seemed like a lot of conference focused on
missionary work. There were so many good talks, and so many things
that it helped me realized that I could be doing to be a more
effective servant of the Lord. I also noticed that a lot of the
apostles, and even Thomas. S Monson were looking fresh in those grey
suits. I couldn't help but appreciate dieters good looks, man that guy
delivers. Pretty much the whole conference was filled with really
powerful talks. It sucks that its over. I can't wait until next 6
months in October when we have conference again. It's seriously like
the super bowl for missionaries. I love it. I love this church, and I
love our dear prophet Thomas. S monson. I hope that everyone was able
to receive specific answers for themselves, because I know that I did!

This week has been a weird one, again, another bad week for missionary
work. It seems like everyday there was something that just killed our
time. We had zone conference on Tuesday which was too long as usual.
I'm horrible when it comes to long meetings. I pray that I wont have
too many long meetings to attend in my life. Conference is awesome,
but it makes it hard to do missionary work, but I am grateful for the
opportunity to be filled and be taught. Its refreshing, because as a
missionary it feels like you are always the one teaching and helping
people strengthen their faith.

We had a dinner with one of our members this week, that the other
elders in our pad got invited to as well. They talked forever!
Sometimes its hard to get out of members homes, people love
missionaries so much, that they will eat up all your time.q  After we
finally got out of there we were heading home. We were biking through
this freeway underpass, there was some construction and the road was
bumpy, torn up, and uneven. Since I had been on this road before I
knew not to stay in the gutter, because it pretty much throws you off
a little ledge and into a lot of ripped up road. Its a pretty scary
area, the cars pass by you within inches at high speeds. So we try to
avoid it as much as possible. Mitchell and pastrona were ahead of me,
and Granodos was behind. i saw both mitchell and Pastrona make it
safely through, then I went, I thought everything was fine. But
shortly after I heard a crash. I looked behind me and Granodos didn't
make it through, he biffed it and was now picking his bike onto the
side walk. I turned around and   Asked if he was okay. But with one
glance I knew something wasn't right. His arm looked as if it was
dislocated. His bike was wrecked, the whole frame of the tire was
warped, it was definitely unridable. He wall all scraped and cut up. I
picked up his bike and we walked up to a Walmart that was up the
street, the other elders came back, we blessed him, and a member was
already on the way. We called the presidents wife, she told us we
needed to go a hospital. It was a hospital back in my old area, 2
zones away. We arrived at the hospital at 9:45 and didn't leave until
3:30 in the morning. He broke his wrist in 2 different places, and
will be getting surgery this Tuesday I can't believe how easily things
can happen. If you guys get a chance pray for elder Granodos. I'm
pretty sure he won't get sent home, but I can only imagine how hard it
must be for him. It was so weird. I felt wild being out passed 9:30.
Granodos was thirsty so we went to the store to get drinks, it was
like 12 at night. Full pros and no worries.

The next day was kind of hard, after getting use to a sleeping
schedule for 10 months it really messes you up if you don't follow it.
Even though we were given permission to sleep in, it probably took me
2 days to recover from that. It's just funny, because before I came on
my mission I would stay up super late, and wake up early and feel
fine. But now it's just a killer, probably has to do with the strains
of missionary work, there really isn't a time when you can come home
and get a good nap in (especially now that lunches are 30 minutes) but
everything is good, I'm so grateful for the Lord always watching out
for us. There have been times on my mission where I probably should
have been hurt pretty bad, and I know that things could have been a
lot worse with elder Granodos. It kind of sucks because he will
probably soon be emergency transferred to a place where they have a
car, and we're going to miss our little buddy.

This morning when we went to the laundry mat there were cops
everywhere surrounding the flower shop across the parking lot. The
police had their guns drawn, and they had a helicopter circling it.
This place is ghetto man. Not my whole area, but at least the
neighborhood where we live. It's not the first time that I've seen
cops surrounding a place, with helicopters flying around. I've seen
multiple prostitutes around our area, and drug deals... like freak. LA
county is a dirty, hot, and overpopulated place. I would never live
here. But it's a great place to serve a mission! I really love it
here. There isn't a day that goes by where we don't run into really
interesting people, or see something out of the ordinary. You always
want your mission to be a little crazy, but this isn't a place I would
want my family being for sure, haha.

Well I love you guys! Thanks for all the letters and support you give!
Being a missionary is a blessing. The Lord has blessed me so much, I
can't even believe it. I know that the Lord is so aware of us, and the
deep desires of our hearts. He wants us to be happy, this life is a
place where can experience so much joy. So what are you waiting for?
Enjoy ever moment you have, for all these little moments will eventual
make a lifetime, and if you choose, it will be a lifetime filled with
peace, love, joy and happiness. This I know is true, that's all our
Heavenly Father wants for us.
Until next week.

Elder LeBaron

614 West Foothill Blvd, Arcadia, California, 91006

No comments:

Post a Comment