Monday, April 24, 2017

ELDER MATTHEW LEBARON - 4/24 - Cars, Tagalog, and food

This week has gone by pretty fast! I've really enjoyed this. New area
a ton. I love my companions, all my dreams are coming true. Glendale
is where all the party people are at, which is where I belong. It's so
cool being in the city and seeing a bunch of crazy stuff. There is so
much to see and do, and it feels like we can accomplish so much with a
car that I haven't been able to do with bikes. Our area is huge, we
have no bounds, nothing can stop me. It's literally the coolest to be
able to go anywhere in the mission, and out. We went to east L.A This
ward spoils us... holy cow. It seems more of a branch than a ward, but
we eat every night. Rice everyday all day. Filipino people are so
nice, the members seem to always be giving us stuff, and helping us
with rides if we are running low on mikes. The bishop gave me a pair
of Oakley sunglasses... they are so nice holy cow. So what I'm getting
at here is that white people are the worst, English work is not where
it's at. Filipino work is where the party is at.

I love my Filipino companion Elder Ela so much, he is such a funny
guy. He is about to finish his mission, but he is still working hard,
but he makes the work fun. He showed me how to catch bees without
getting stung. Apparently the skin on your palm is too thick to be
stung by a bee? Well I finally built up the courage and caught a
couple bees. I got a little too confident and I got stung on the
finger it, it hurt a lot more than I remember, What a dumb idea. Learn
from me, don't catch bees with your hands, unless you are a small
Filipino man, then go ahead you'll never get stung. I like being with
foreign missionaries when they are learning English, even though Ela
has been out for awhile he is still learning, the other day we were
trying to explain to him what a red neck or hick was, and now he is
calling everyone we see a redneck... its so funny. The other day when
we were knocking on a door, there was a big pit bull that started
barking at us through the gate, he walked straight up to the dog with
his finger pointed out it and yelled, "shut up dog I will eat you!"
You never know what that guy is about to do. He is so bold in lessons,
he just breaks people's legs. We were in a lesson and the guy had a
couple concerns and we pulled out the scripture and explained to him
what it meant, he then told us that he didn't believe that it was
true, then Ela said " you simply don't have enough faith to believe
this scripture" and later explained that he would not obtain salvation
if he continued to deny our teachings... oh man... haha.... all true
but bold. I love that guy. Elder cottle is super cool too, he is
pretty relaxed and likes to joke around, I am always messing with him,
it's pretty fun. We have a lot of fun in our companionship.

Cars are the best! I can't believe I have been riding a bike for so
long. When it was 90 degrees outside I was surprised at how much I
still complained about the heat even though we had a car... hahah. But
I really enjoy riding in the car as we go on the freeway. Even though
it's church music it's super nice to listen to something, and roll the
windows down when it's night time and see all those city lights. We
are pretty close to downtown L.A and see it as we come back home most
nights. Then we go to downtown Glendale. It's awesome. I love this new
area, it's just such a nice transition, now I understand why all the
missionaries want to go into Filipino work. What a blessing, super
pumped to learn more about the people we are working with and help the
kingdom grow in this area.

Elder LeBaron

614 West foothill Blvd Arcadia, California

No comments:

Post a Comment