Sunday, April 2, 2017

SISTER SARAH JOHNSON - 3/27 - Hello again! :)



This week had a couple of really crazy things happen! Here it goes! 

So on Monday we found out that there isn't anyone that feels right for President to bring down for Sister Cheney to be companions with right now.... so we are in a tripan until the end of the transfer! We were so excited, because it's been so much fun! But then we realized how difficult it was going to be to take over the Pullman YSA in addition to our own YSA and Potlatch.... and we had a little bit of anxiety over it. And then I had some revelation! I was reading the next day in Alma 58, where Helaman realizes that he isn't going to have enough men to fight the Lamanites. And he doesn't have enough provisions to feed them all either. But then he says! : 
9 And now the cause of these our embarrassments, or the cause why they did not send more strength unto us, we knew not; therefore we were grieved and also filled with fear, lest by any means the judgments of God should come upon our land, to our overthrow and utter destruction.
10 Therefore we did pour out our souls in prayer to God, that he would strengthen us and deliver us out of the hands of our enemies, yea, and also give us strength that we might retain our cities, and our lands, and our possessions, for the support of our people.
11 Yea, and it came to pass that the Lord our God did visit us with assurances that he would deliver us; yea, insomuch that he did speak peace to our souls, and did grant unto us great faith, and did cause us that we should hope for our deliverance in him.
12 And we did take courage with our small force which we had received, and were fixed with a determination to conquer our enemies, and to maintain our lands, and our possessions, and our wives, and our children, and the cause of our liberty.
And it just hit me, that even though we don't have enough "men" to take over all this area. And we don't have enough "provisions" to take care of everything, we will be ok, and we will come off conquerors if we will trust God, and "pour out our souls in prayer". And you know what? It worked this week! And we had a lot of good times :). 
John is still on-date and excited to be baptized on April 8th! We're trying to work it out that he'll be able to come to conference with us, and see a baptism that the elders are holding this weekend. He wants to go, so hopefully it all works out! He was in a really bad living situation, and we let bishop know, and within 24 hours John was moved out and put in a motel until they can get him into a new place to live. Our bishop rocks! We're so glad that John is in a safer place now. That was another miracle this week. 
We also got to go to the temple! It was an incredible experience! I have missed being there, and I'm really glad I got to go with my good friends Sis Mitchell and Sis Cheney. They're the best. We got to drive up with the Sisters from Grangeville too, so it was a party. But they begged us to eat at Cafe Rio, and it destroyed my intestines, and Sis Cheney's and Sis Mitchell's. We will not be eating there ever again. It's a miracle I didn't die. :P 
And ok here's the weirdest coincidence/miracle of my life! So there's this kid, Josh, that I saw up on the "ward family" board at the institute. I totally remembered him from the Falcon Hill ward way back in the day, and I thought it was way cool that I recognized him and now was serving in his ward in Moscow of all places. But then he didn't come to church ever, and I realized he was less active, and I really wanted to contact him and see how he was doing. We just didn't get around to it. So fastforward to the end of week 4 of 6 in the transfer, and it's fast Sunday. I sat there forever, feeling not a whole lot, when I felt impressed to share my Alma 58 experience. We just bore our testimonies 3 weeks ago, and I definitely didn't want to go again. And Sis Mitchell definitely didn't' want to go again either, and so I almost didn't. But I pulled out my scriptures and made the long walk to the pulpit, where I told everyone that sometimes our trials seems overwhelming, and we don't have enough resources to combat them. But with God, we can always have courage and come off conquerors. And then, lo and behold, in the audience is Josh! Like 2nd row! It was the craziest coincidence ever, and I would never have known about it if I hadn't gotten up to bear my testimony. We talked to him after sacrament and it was a really neat experience, and he's a really good guy who just got caught up in school and is trying to make a comeback to church. It made me so excited :)). I just love being a missionary. 
There were so many miracles this week! it reminded me of a quote from the movie Signs (go watch it, because I can't and I wish I could). it goes:
"People break down into two groups. Then when they experience something lucky, group number one sees it as more than luck, more than a coincidence. They see it as a sign. Evidence that there is someone up there watching out for them. Group number two, sees it as just pure luck. A happy turn of chance. I'm sure that people in group number two are looking at those fourteen lights in a very suspicious way. For them, this situation is a 50-50. Could be bad, could be good. But deep down, they feel that whatever happens, they're on their own. And that, fills them with fear. Yeah, there are those people. But there's a whole lot of people in the group number one. When they see those fourteen lights, they're looking at a miracle. And deep down, they feel that whatever's going to happen, there'll be someone there to help them. And that fills them with hope. So what you have to ask yourself is what kind of person are you. Are you the kind that sees signs, sees miracles? Or do you believe that people just get lucky. Or, look at the question this way. Is it possible, that there are no coincidences?"
There are no coincidences! Heavenly Father has a plan for each and every one of his Children, and it's beautiful! And I get to watch so many of His miracles so personally, and it is changing my life. I hope you are all taking time to recognize the little miracles in the everyday things, because I promise they are there. 
I love you all! Have a fabulous week :)). 
Love,
Sister Johnson

Here's a pic or two from getting Thai food with the ladies today! 






And a whole load of temple trip pics! Enjoy! :D 











2 comments:

  1. Oh, Sarah, what an awesome woman you have become! I am glad you are enjoying your Mission and doing so well, but, don't forget us here! LOL! Seriously, you are MISSED!!...and LOVED!! Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved your comparison of your experience with the Book of Mormon. Loved feeling your spirit through your letter. I know you are a very special missionary because you are such a special person!! Love you.

    ReplyDelete