Tuesday, October 4, 2016

ELDER MATTHEW LEBARON...General Conference, door punching, and bike crashes



Yet another week has past, and you know what that means, another addition to the LeBaron weekly. This week has been so long, mainly because of all the the meetings that we have had to attend, including General Conference, and several other events that have made proselyting a bit difficult. We were still able to get a good amount of lessons in, and prepare Kimberly, and Jason for baptism. 

General conference was pretty much the best. You know that when GC comes around that it means Saturday, and Sunday bum day, even for missionaries. What an event. Me and E. Katanuma were able to meet with most of our zone at the stake center, and enjoyed 10 hours of bliss. We were even to get Kimberly to watch one of the sessions with us. She is so prepared, and cried the whole time, she told us that she knew that these men truly were called of God and she knew it, we've been plucking along and have some awesome fellowship for her, we even got the relief society president and her to be pretty good friends. After that a bunch of missionaries, including myself went and got lunch, we were riding with one of the zone leaders of one of the other zones, and let me just tell you, missionaries are reckless. They totally ran over a median, and I cringed as I heard the undercarriage of the car scrap against concrete, and looked under the car expecting a pool of oil after a joyride like that.

 This weekend was incredible, GC really brings something out in the members, we ate so much I didn't know whether to cry from joy or pain. In between the sessions we were able to hang out, mainly because our area was so far away it was almost impossible to manage a ride to and back , that would be realistic with time. We had a good time. I've been trying my whole life to figure out how to not fall asleep in GC, and I'll tell you something, I'm still working on that one, as soon as they turn those lights out, game over buddy. There's just something about that spirit, you can't help but feel peaceful. Unfortunately, GC did end, and it was probably the hardest things to get back to work on Sunday after the afternoon session, Can't wait for session in 6 months. 

Being with someone all the time that didn't grow up in America can kind of be a weird experience, first off, i would like to say, I love E. Katanuma, he's an awesome missionary. There are just some things that you get used to growing up with our culture that he didn't in Japan, its totally kind of a culture shock for the both of us, working together.  He eats a bunch of food with all sorts of asians symbols all over it, that I'm still trying to figure out exactly what it is. And yes, he does have a fan, exactly like the ones you see in the movies. Also, apparently in Japan you punch doors? E. Katanuma doesn't knock on doors he literally punches them, lights out cherry oak. I haven't seen anyone open the door when he knocks (punches) doors, mainly because its super loud especially when people have a metal covering for their door, which is pretty common out here, I have to keep checking to make sure this guy isn't bleeding out from his hand, this guy goes hard . Although he is a small asian, I wouldn't want to be on the opposite end of one of those punches, bring it on criminal. 

Last night we were riding down the street, since the day light has been getting shorter and shorter, it has made doing the Lords work harder, since people tend to be inside after dark. Also, I guess in California people don't like street lights, because we only like two in the whole town, which makes having lights on our bikes even more important than ever. While we were cruising down one of the neighborhoods streets E. Katanuma informed me that my back light was out. So I reached back and tried to find the on switch with my left hand. Struggling to find it I looked back, turned it on, and began to turn my head back. BAM. all of a sudden I found myself on the ground, gasping for air, I had the air knocked out of me. I couldn't figure out what had happened, and where was my bike. Maybe a car had hit me? I wasn't exactly sure, I quickly stood up and found my bike on the ground. Putting my hands in front of me, I figured it out. There was a big black suburban that I had totally slammed into at full speed. The car looked fine, but we didn't stay very long to find out. "We gotta get outta here, Elder!" I exclaimed. I hoped on my bike and I pushed with my right leg as hard as i could trying to find a side street we could turn on so I could throw that chain on and bounce. Other than a bruised ego, I'm fine, but man, that sucked. Amazingly enough my bike is fine too, now that's a miracle, I'm sure that car is fine too maybe. Who knows.

This week has been a weird one for sure, but all is well in zion. I hope that everyone had a bomb GC, and enjoyed all the awesome talks that were given, take it easy, keep on keeping on.

Elder LeBaron

No comments:

Post a Comment