Thursday, October 20, 2016

SISTER SARAH JOHNSON...10/19/2016... It's that time of week again!



Ok so first off, we taught the most incredible lesson on Tuesday and I'm so excited at how good the Spirit is at his job. This girl, Andrea, is a single mom raising two little kids. So it's been really hard for her to really read the Book of Mormon and understand what's going on, because her house is usually a little crazy. She's been meeting with missionaries for several months now, and that's been her struggle is just knowing what the scriptures say. So we decided that instead of reteaching all the lessons again, we'd read with her and help her to apply it to herself. We'd read 1 Nephi 1 with her already, and we decided about an hour before her lesson to go through chapters 2-4 with her, and apply it to her smoking addiction. We showed her how Laman relied on others' testimonies, and when he went to Laban to get the plates, that wasn't enough to get him through. And when all the brothers went and used all their resources and possessions to get the plates, that wasn't enough either and they were almost killed. Laban was symbolic of the obstacles that keep us from getting to the fulness of the gospel (the plates), and specifically smoking. And other's encouragement, and even all our earthly resources are sometimes not enough to get by with. But we went back to 1 Nephi 3:7, and 4:6, and asked her if she really believed that God could deliver her if He commanded it. And she understood! And she cried and thanked us so much for helping her to really understand, but it was 100% the Spirit. She was so happy to see that there was real life application for her, and we're so excited for her!! We're going to keep reading with her until the addiction gets kicked to the curb. :D
 We had Zone conference with President and Sister Dymock on Friday, and they're awesome! President talked about the second coming a lot, which was pretty neat. My favorite quote from his training was "All the easy things the church has had to do, have been done. From here on out, it's high adventure" ~Elder Maxwell. It gave me anxiety, but it also made me really excited to see all the amazing things that the church will be able to do before the second coming. 
Sister Dymock trained us on "The Power of Personality" :D. So we took the color code test, all 4 zones of us. I tested 7-Blue 18-Yellow 10-White and 10-Red, so I'm a yellow! :D Haha no wonder life is a party all the time. But the coolest quote from Sister Dymock was "Every personality strength is needed to create Zion", so there's even room for the kids that just wish they could play all the time, because they keep Zion interesting ;). It's been fun, because now the whole zone talks about all our colors, and it makes for some good jokes sometimes. 
Otherwise, this week has been good! I'm stressing about transfers this next week, because I really want to stay here in Spokane with Sis. Whitehead, but I also really don't think I'm staying. Fingers crossed! 
Oh, also it's my birthday this week. In case you had forgotten about it. ;) 
Love you all! 
Sister Johnson

2 comments:

  1. Dearest Sarah, I hope you have a Wonderful day today!! Happy Birthday!! I am sorry you have not been getting my messages. I do get a little confused, but, know that I am thinking about you all the time. I am wondering if you are getting snow and how the weather is. The news looked really bad for up there in Wash., but never mentioned Spokane. Keep warm, stay safe!! I miss seeing your sweet smile, but I am glad you are enjoying your mission and that you are doing so well. You definitely have the true Spirit of the Gospel! I am proud of you always......
    Lots and lots of Love,
    Grandma

    ReplyDelete