Sunday, June 4, 2017

ELDER MATTHEW LEBARON - 5/8 - Bashing, crow catching, and tract meets



Hello again friends and family! 

We did a lot of work this week! We visited so many people, it's hard to keep track of everything that we did. We don't really have anyone that we are working with as of right now,  it we are still picking up investigators and working hard. The days seem to go by quickly, which is weird to me considering we don't have any solid people. The Filipino ward is a really weird place and in a lot of aspects it seems like a branch, there are a lot of interesting little things that happen here that I haven't really seen in a regular English ward. There isn't a whole lot of structure and it seems like a lot of the members say some pretty wild things about doctrine, it's honestly so much fun. I love the ward here, the people are so loving, and caring, all they do is feed us. I've never felt like so many people cared about me in any other ward. The Filipino people are very welcoming and caring. 

Well Elder Ela keeps surprising me, he not only can catch lizards, bees, spiders, and any other creepy crawly thing you can think about, he can also catch birds, this little Filipino boy is quick. I'm not sure what they do in the Philippines but he caught a crow! What the heck haha. What a guy. I'll attach a picture below.
                                         
When we were tracting out a neighborhood, we passed by this school, it didn't look like much... but there was a track meet going on. After closer inspection we realized that this was a college meet, and that BYU was there! It was so weird. The strangest thing to me is how the BYU students present themselves and act, after being on a mission for a little while,and living in different states. I saw it for the first time. I could really see the difference between the people in the audience as we walked by and I could just tell the ones that were Mormon, especially the participants on the field looked different (other than the big Y on their uniforms) so weird to see all these members in a place like Southern California, or Babylon as we like to call it. 

This week we were teaching a lesson to a part member family, all the kids have been coming to church for years, they seem like their members, the mom is an active member and so is their grandma. The only reason they aren't already baptized is because their father is against the church and is apart of his own religion. No one has really met the father because he works so much, but when we went to teach our lesson he was home, and man was it crazy. Apparently he use to be the priest, clergy, or minister to his church, so he was ready for us. As we started to teach the restoration he just went off on all these different scriptures trying to contend with us. Now I've had a lot of people try and bash with me in the past year, but this was different, I had never been in someone's home while they were just attacking us, a little scary because it seemed like there was no way out of the situation. I try very hard not to bash with people because it takes the spirit away, but our member started arguing back... oh man it was so weird, and kind of hilarious. 

It just amazes me how people don't see the plain evidence in the Bible. Everything that is taught in this church is reaffirmed in and through the Bible, and the Book of Mormon only adds on to the plain and simple truths of the gospel. I have really reflected on how much I have learned the (almost) past year, and realized just how much I have learned, and how much I understand about the scriptures and the doctrines of Christ, that I wouldn't have other wise. My mission has thus far improved my love for the savior and his Atonement, increased my knowledge of his words, and has given me a desire to serve and love God for the rest of my life. I could not imagine trying to raise a family without the experiences and knowledge that my mission has brought, and I'm only (almost) halfway there. I am so excited to see what more I can become, and see the path that God wants me to take in my life more clearly. Serving a mission is incredible.

I was reading in the Old Testament this week and I wanted to share a scripture that I found this is in Deuteronomy 31: 
6 ​Be strong and of a good ​​​courage​, fear not, nor be afraid of them: for the ​​​​​Lord​​​ thy God, he ​it is​ that doth go with thee; he will not ​​​fail​ thee, nor ​​​forsake​ thee.
​​​​​7 ​​¶ ​And Moses called unto ​​​Joshua​, and said unto him in the sight of all Israel, Be strong and of a good courage: for thou must go with this people unto the land which the ​​Lord​​ hath sworn unto their fathers to give them; and thou shalt cause them to inherit it.
​​​​​8 ​And the ​​Lord​​, he ​it is​ that doth go before thee; he will be ​​​with thee​, he will not fail thee, neither forsake thee: fear not, neither be dismayed.

I know that even if our destination in this life may not be a physical one like the Israelites, the Lord will guide us along each day, he will not forsake us, he loves and cares for us so much, and his promises are the same today. Keep pushing keep going forward, for the Lord is with you, and he will guide us to the beautiful pastures of eternal life. Don't lose faith and everything will work out, I know that to be true. Until next week, 

Elder LeBaron

614 west foothill blvd, Arcadia, California, 91006

1 comment: