Sunday, June 4, 2017

SISTER SARAH JOHNSON - 5/30 - Hey guys! I'm still alive!



Hey guys! I'm still alive!
President decided it was a good idea for us to work on Memorial Day, because maybe more families would be home. So P-day is today. Sorry if I worried anybody!
Plummer is quite the experience. At least we have one solid investigator (I'll get to that later), and President Clark (from the mission presidency) is in our branch. But otherwise.... I still feel pretty lost here. Let me paint you a picture of Plummer for a moment.
80% of our area is Indian Reservation
When we walk, it feels like we're walking through a desert... but there's like forest everywhere outside of town so I can't explain why.
Every road is a dirt road, paved or not.
All the ward members live 10 miles apart from each other.
There's one fast food place, and one blinking traffic light for the nearest 30 miles.
There's not a single street lamp.
Our area is at least 60 miles North to South, and probably about 20 across, covering part of Coeur d'Alene, all the way down to DeSmet.
There's one town prostitute, who we met, and at least 2 town drunks. One of which we've also met now.
Doesn't it sound like an adventure? We're actually coming to love it. Oh! Speaking of which! I have a new companion! Her name is Sister Latu, she's from Salt Lake City, and she's Tongan. She's super cool, and I'm excited to get to know her better. She has really good ideas and insights, and I think this area is going to do really well with her here. :)
The only really hard thing though, is that we swept out a really good set of elders. Everybody here still talks about them, and how they used to rap and play the Ukulele for everyone. But.... we can't do that, and we don't have a ukulele.... so we're like the lame girl versions of them. Haha Anastasia (our investigator) has a daughter who came up to her and said we look just like Elder Tonga and Elder Williams, except girls. We got a good laugh out of that.
Anastasia though! She's incredible. Even in the week I've been here, I've learned so much from her and her experience with the elders. I'm so grateful she had such a good set of elders who found her. She's getting baptized this Thursday! And we couldn't be more excited about it. Praying that all goes well, fingers crossed!
We do a lot of service here too, which is cool. We're basically Ammon among the Lamanites, just trying to build trust and friendship with the people here. Everybody already seems to know exactly who we are, so we're going to start making them like us.... haha. It's going to be fun.
Anyways.... we're kind of emailing from the library, and it's weird because there's a 30 minute time limit.... and only one computer available. So I'm going to have to send some pictures and email everyone back later. But I love you all! And I hope that all is well and you're all loving your summer :).
Love,
Sister Johnson :)

Here are a couple pictures!

This is my new trainee, Sister Latu! She rocks :). We're going to have a good transfer together. She's really good at connecting with people, and I'm excited to learn a lot from her. 




The one with the kids is at Anastasia's house :) They're absolutely adorable people, all of them. 






No comments:

Post a Comment