Friday, January 19, 2018

ELDER MATT LEBARON - 10/30 - I'm not dead

Hey friends and family!

I’m sorry for the absence in my letters, but I would like to inform you that I am still alive and still doing the Lords work. I didn’t even realize how many weeks had passed since I last wrote. Times seems to just be flying right now. It seems like I just got into this area, but I’ve been here for a whole month now! I’m starting to realize that this mission isn’t going to last forever, I have 7 months left. It’s weird because now the members are starting to ask me what my plans are when I get home, like what? I’m not going to go home, I still have a lot of time left... oh wait. Even though 7 months seems like a long time, I know it will be gone before I know it, that’s what it seems like what happened with the last 17 months, holy cow... where has all the time gone, I honestly can’t tell you. 

My companions just finished his training, so I’m considered his “mom” or his “greenie breaker” it’s pretty fun being with a new missionary. It makes me feel old. I think this is the first time in my mission where I’m starting to feel old. There has been a huge influx of new missionaries to replace all the ones that just went home. All the new missionaries have Samsung tablets, while older missionaries like myself have iPads, it’s really interesting to see all the people with Samsungs. I often see other missionaries look at me when I say, “ yeah last Christmas this happened” or “ last year it rained a lot” most of the people in my zone are all in their training. It feels good to feel old for once haha, even though sometimes it feels like I just got here. 

My companion, E. Stone, has been killing me. This boy is some sort of Olympic athlete. He always rides his bike like it’s a race. He use to be into cross country and so he has a build for endurance. I feel like I’m a pretty fast biker, and most of my companions I’ve had always tell me to slow down, but this guy is nuts. Out of pride I never tried to show that I was struggling keeping up. I’ve kept up with him pretty well most days, even though I can taste blood in the back of my throat. This is the biggest biking area I’ve had on my mission. The church is 4 miles away, all up hill. Everything’s up hill here. I’ve been surprised the last couple days because it feels like Elder stone is slowing down and it’s easier for me to keep up. But in reality he is still going just as fast, but I’m starting to get use to it. I’m pretty sure we bike at least 20 miles a day, it’s honestly crazy.

I’m sure most of you are reading this letter, snuggled up in a nice comfy blanket, with a cup full of Swiss miss enjoying the fall weather... well let me tell you, In the last month we have stayed mostly in the 100s, I’ve been sweating so much! Luckily for me we are finally getting down to the 80s this week. It’s funny I sometimes look at Elder stone and say “ it’s going to be another hot 2 summers for you!” I’m excited that I’ll be able to dip out for this next summer and dodge most of the sunny southern Cali heat. What a blessing.

We have been working with so many cool people, I honestly love this ward, and the people. I think that my attitude has changed in the last part of my mission, I’m just enjoying every second. It’s hard, a mission is the hardest thing I’ve ever done, but I’ve never been so happy. I love my mission. I seriously love it. I just wished I learned to love it earlier on, but maybe that’s just how it works, that’s probably why missions are 2 years, for boys like me. 

This weekend was Lauryn’s baptism, I didn’t get permission to go, and I was pretty bummed out. I put 5 months of work into that girl. Elder Stucky came back for the baptism, he said he wanted to take me out to breakfast with my companion. I was super excited, Elder Stucky is one of my favorite companions, we had so much fun together. He showed up on Saturday morning and said that he parked the car down the street. To my surprise it was Lauryn’s car! It was so awesome! I got to have breakfast with Stucky and Lauryn even though i didn’t get to go to the baptism. I can’t express quite how I felt at that moment. Me and Elder Stucky are Lauryn’s original Elders, so it was something super special. It almost brought tears to my eyes with the amount of joy I felt. I realized that this is why people serve missions. I am so grateful for what I have learned, the people I’ve met, and the person I’ve become. Serving a mission is the best choice I’ve ever made for my life, and I’m excited to be able to give it my all the next 7 months. I love the Lord, and I love this church. I hope you all can find the joy that the Lord is offering you in your lives, there truly isn’t anything sweeter, I feel like I can stand with Lehi of old and testify of the sweetness of the tree of life. There is no greater joy. 

Until next week,
Elder LeBaron

The last photo is a picture of the Flores family, we’ve been working with them for a while, we were speaking in church and they finally came, we wore floral ties to celebrate. 





No comments:

Post a Comment