Thursday, January 18, 2018

ELDER MATT LEBARON - 7/10 - Transfers, The Fourth, and Baptisms

Hello again,

This week went by pretty fast, it seems like we had a couple things to keep us busy, which was nice. As far as transfers go, I'm staying here with Elder stucky, which is really cool! I wanted to kill him, but man it's tough, I've been on a killing streak lately and man does it weigh on your soul. I have been with so many missionaries that have died in my pad or my companions dying. everyone is so trunky. All the missionaries that are currently in the pad are above 18 months, so I'm definitely the youngest of the group. There is one elder that left for the office today and will be flying home tomorrow, E. Patterson. I love that boy. I've made some really good friends out here on the mission so far. The other Elders in our apartment got white washed ( both of them got transferred out) they are making their area a zone leader area, which means that we will be rooming with the ZLs ugh, I'm personally not a fan, but it will be good, I just had a lot of cool people in the Apartment last transfer so its a little sad to see it change.  

We had to go in early for the fourth of July which was kind of cool! there was a firework show just across the street so we sat and watched the fireworks, it was a pretty decent show! it's nothing like it was when I was in Azusa last year, people went absolutely nuts, people were shooting roman candles at us and throw M-80s as we road our bike, it was like a war zone, but this year was a little more quite in the streets of La Verne. we went to a members house and had a festive meal, it was pretty fun. 

This last Saturday we had a baptism for a kid named Jett, we have been working with him for a little bit, he was pretty much a dry mormon, he had been going his whole life, but his dad wouldn't give him permission to get baptized so while we were teaching him his dad finally let him, which is super Cool. it was the biggest turn out for any baptism I've ever seen we had over 100 people come and sit in this tiny primary room. everything was set up really well for the baptism and the youth even sang for Jett, we had a really nice audio visual presentation that we showed to everyone in attendance, it was really awesome, it was funny because the New president showed up, and was really impressed, I love this ward haha, the members were talking us up so much in front of the president, it was a little embarrassing, but it was definitely a good time for Prez to show up if there ever was a time. I really like our new president, he seems like a really kind hearted guy, I'm looking forward to good things this year. 

I really love being a missionary sometimes, we are really involved in the ward and so we get to develop a lot of close relationships with the people in the wards you serve, there is this little boy that's six his name is Zander, we see him a lot at church and at dinners, he is a little Filipino boy, I talk to his mom in my broken Tagalog that I learned in 6 weeks. He came up to me after church and said "Elder LeBaron! I have this note for you! don't read it until you get home, okay?" when I got back to the apartment i read it and it simply said " Elder LeBaron I want to be a missionary just like you one day" it was simple but it really made me feel super grateful to be a missionary and to have the opportunity to touch other peoples lives even if it's in a small way. I'm sure Zander won't remember me in a couple years, but I will always remember him and have the little note he gave me.

No comments:

Post a Comment