Friday, January 26, 2018

SISTER SARAH JOHNSON - 12/11 - Hello friends!!

I got to come back out to Spokane on December 4th, and man let me tell you, it has been one crazy week jumping back into the swing of things. I'm in kind of a quad-panionship right now with the 3 Spanish sisters, but since I don't actually know Spanish, I've been with Hermana Lindsey doing the work in their English ward for the most part. It's been so busy! We have 3 kids on date to be baptized December 23rd. They are the cutest family ever! They remind me a lot of Anastasia and her family back in Plummer, actually. It's been really cool :). And I got to go to the Spanish Branch on Sunday, and that was actually an eye-opening experience! I could catch about 5% of what was said.... which was enough to maybe write a thesis statement about the talks. Maybe next week I'll use a headset, but I kind of like trying to understand what's being said. It keeps me awake. 
Speaking of staying awake, I forgot how tired missionaries are all the time. Holy cow is it a long day of adventure todos los dias. I have gladly welcomed back my old friends, "bagsundermyeyes" haha. I do have the world's sketchiest top bunk though. Pretty sure if I sneezed too forcefully, it would fall down and smash Hermana Mallett.... so I try really hard not to have to roll over in the night. It's fantastic haha. 
There were some really great things that happened this week though! I ran into a couple of incredible insights that I want to share with you all!! 
The first one was while we were teaching our on-date family! The parents are Traci and Jeff. Jeff's not a member yet, and neither are their 3 sons, but they're all awesome and they pretty much believe everything and I'm certain they'll get baptized pretty quick here. Anyways, we were teaching a lesson about keeping the Sabbath day holy, and decided to read and dissect the Sacrament prayers with them. We talked about the word "sanctified" for a minute, about how it means to make holy or pure, and Jeff asked if it had anything to do with the word "sanctuary". But in the midst of all the kids and the chaos, his question got kind of lost in the lesson. BUT! I totally thought about it the rest of the lesson. How does "sanctified" and "sanctuary" go together? And apparently so did Jeff, because at the end of the lesson he asked if "sanctuary" could be applied? Like a sanctuary in a war zone (he's in the army). We then had a really good mini discussion on how when we are sanctified by the gift of the Holy Ghost, we become our own sanctuary. We become our own safe place to be, no matter what's going on around us or how hard life has become, because we are sanctified. I left the lesson feeling so excited about that connection! Because for Jeff, it really spoke to him, because it applied to his life outside of the church as well. Ah! The Lord is just so good at helping people make connections. It's amazing to be a part of again! :D 
And then the other fantastic insight I came across was while we were sharing the new #LighttheWorld Christmas video with a member couple after dinner. (Go watch it again. It's good every time!) We asked them what they liked about the video, and Sister Southwick said she liked how smoothly the pictures flowed into each other, the present things with Jesus' life. And I thought about that literally the rest of the night. That's the goal! To smoothly transition the life and character of Jesus Christ into ours. I thought about it a lot in context of going home soon (again), because who I am here on the mission, with all the great things to do and the desire to help and love others, needs to be who I am when I get back home too. 
The work is just SO GOOD! There's nothing like being a missionary. This is going to be a fabulous 3 months you guys. I'm so grateful to be here. :) 
Love you all!! 
Sister Johnson :)

No comments:

Post a Comment