Friday, January 26, 2018

ELDER MATT LEBARON - 1/15 - Winter Rain

Hello everyone!

It’s been another eventful week this week, all made possible again  by
East L.A. we started out the week with a ton of rain, luckily for us
the first day it rained was on Monday, so we got to be inside for the
most part, but on Tuesday it was still raining all day. We went to
East Los to try and teach some lessons, but no one was home. A lot of
the rain gear I had last year I wore a ton, and so I guess it’s not as
waterproof as it use to be. I thought I didn’t get wet, but I was
super cold the whole day. When I got home I realized that all my
clothes were soaked. I changed really quick and some members picked us
up for dinner and they had a fire place I sat in from of, that was
super nice.

I think we finally found someone to work with. There is a girl that we
picked up a week ago that is starting to progress, it’s refreshing to
be able to start teaching things other than the first lesson. Some
days we teach the first lesson on contact 5 to 15 times. Hopefully we
will get more people to teach, but things are pretty slow around here
even though there’s hundreds of people to talk to on the street.

This area is crazy man. We were riding the train back to Alhambra, and
guess who sat right next to us? A drunk Jehovas witness. That was
great. The guy technically wasn’t even a baptized member, but he was
looking for a fight. One thing that sucks about people a missionary is
people target you sometimes. I just want to ride the train back in
peace is that too much to ask? People always start out by saying “you
know I really respect you guys, don’t get me wrong... but!...” Most of
the time on my mission when stuff like that happens I can just walk
away, but we were literally cornered. He wanted me to say that Gods
name was Jehovah, haha. Like come on man, I’m not going to agree with
this silliness, But I kept telling him, “you know we just have to
agree to disagree” things escalated and he started screaming that we
were  the anti Christ. We didn’t even bash with him I was just trying
to ignore him. People on the train were super annoyed by this too, and
a guy finally called out after him “ Hey shut up! No one wants to hear
what you have to say!” That really pushed the drunk guy over the edge.
Before I knew it there were metro police dragging the guy off the
train. Thanks random citizen for taking the heat for that one, I
thought they were going to fight for sure. A lot of the times on my
mission I find myself asking, how did I get myself in this situation?
Weird stuff just always happens.

Boyle heights and East L.A definitely have the most action out of all
the places I’ve been before. It makes missionary work kind of
exciting, I wake up and think, “I wonder what crazy person I’m going
to run into today ?” It’s a cool area I like it.

This week I’ve been studying a lot about improving and always growing.
The Lord really does have a lot of expectations for us. I think as a
whole, most people run away from correction or chastisement. I know I
do. A scripture that I really like is found in Proverbs 3: 11-13,
which says:

11 My son, despise not the chastening of the Lord; neither be weary of
his correction:

12 For whom the Lord loveth he correcteth; even as a father the son in
whom he delighteth.
13 Happy is the man that findeth wisdom, and the man that getteth understanding.

I hope to better apply this scripture in my life, and I invite all of
you to do the same. I hope that you all enjoy your week, Happy Monday!

Elder LeBaron

No comments:

Post a Comment